Welcome to the wonderful world of Fell Running!
A&T has a small, but ever growing bunch of fell runners, no doubt attracted by the opportunity to push themselves, explore some of the lovely countryside we have around us, and just do something a little bit different.
Most people who try the fells not only relish the challenge, but also love the friendly and welcoming nature of fell running. Don’t let worries about navigation and kit lists put you off, we’ve got a range of races planned throughout the year which are accessible for newer fell runners, and a great team happy to give advice and reassurance, and answer any questions you might have.
The Fell Runner’s Association (FRA) has a standard kit list that you should plan to take to any fell race you take part in. Race organisers will let you know when you register what you need to carry. Remember the weather on the fells can change very quickly, and be very different to the weather in the valley.
FRA Kit list:
- Full waterproof body cover (jacket and trousers – with taped seams)
- Hat & gloves
- Map and Compass.
You’ll also need something to carry all that in!
Most of the races we do won’t require all this, but if it is listed as essential at the start of the race, they won’t let you go without it, so its best to be prepared. Again, if you need advice on kit, just let us know.
2020 A&T Championship Races
In 2020 we will once again take part in the Run the Moors champs, competing with other local clubs. RTM has thrown a curveball this year, deciding to exclude races that have been in the series over the last 2 years, to ensure a fresh and varied championship this year.
We have also included some non RTM races for A&T runners, ones that have been popular in the past.
To qualify for the RTM series, runners need to complete 5 races, whereas only 3 are needed for the A&T Club Championship.
Details of all the races are available on the FRA website and will be shared with plenty of notice on the club Facebook page.
- 8.2.20 – Windy Hill – BM (pre-entry recommended)
- 23.2.20 – Midgely Moor – BS
- 21.3.20 – Boulsworth Bog – BM
- 4.4.20 – Moorhouse’s Pendle Fell – AS
- 2.5.20 – The Cake Race – BM (Pre-entry required & will sell out)
- 23.5.20 – Fairfield Horseshoe – AM
- 4.6.20 – Leo Pollard Memorial (previously Hendersons End) BM
- 2.7.10 – Don Ashton Memorial – BS
- 9.7.20 – Bull Hill – Details TBC
- 12.8.20 – Eccles Pike – AS
- 6.9.20 – Exterminator – AL
- 26.9.20 – Thieveley Pike – AS
A,B,C denotes the climb, S,M,L denotes the distance (so an AL race is long and steep!)
A&T Club races (included in the club championship but not RTM)
- 11.4.20 – Rivington Pike – BS
- Any 1 of the Harrock Hill Race Series. (This is a series of 4 races, only 1 result will count towards the club champs – if you do more than 1, pick your best time!)
A&T club championship archive:
- Fell_Results_2016_Race_10 FINAL STANDINGS
Fell Captain: Rachel Haslam